Thursday, March 12, 2009

Wow, talk about a bad decision

Unwrapping Kaswyn's foot was a huge mistake. The foot looked like it was closing up and healing on Tuesday and Wednesday, but today it had completely broken open and is now bigger than before. Dr. B said it was a tissue granulation process and will make the wound bigger and might produce proud flesh if I don't keep it pressure wrapped. He needs to stay with his foot wrapped for 3 to 4 weeks. During that time Dr, B says I can ride him and he can get turned out in the arena, just not in mud at all. He said I could even show him if he was sound on the foot, but that it was up to me.

My trainer looked at the wound and agreed with me that he should not show. It's one thing to take a horse to a show with a minor scrape somewhere. It's quite another to ride into the show ring on a horse that has a obviously open would. And the thing is like four inches long so it's not like it's small.

So far I've been taking this latest development in stride. If I were to think about it too much I'd become overwhelmed with sadness and then I'd just weep and feel sorry for myself. Since neither one of those things gets me closer to my goal if riding the best dressage that I can, I decided not to let this get to me. Sure, I'm sad, but I refuse to be buried by the sadness and "what if's".

At least I have another horse to take. Albert should be a blast and we will be riding at 5:38 and 8:09 (PM) on Friday, around 12:43 on Saturday, and 2:16 on Sunday. If you're' in the Northeastern Ohio area feel free to stop by and heckle me as I ride!


Mandy Huckins said...

Dressage Mom, I have been following your blog, but this is my first comment. I know how frustrating it can be to have a horse that is not well - I have really struggled with my mare this year. It is also so hard to know the best thing to do to care for them. Hang in there! My friend's horse had an injury just like this and he has healed up just fine. It just takes time. I am getting ready for my first show next week, but I am not as brave as you are. I am so nervous about going that I almost secretly wish something would happen (not something to my horse, though) that would prevent me from having to go.

Jackie said...

Ack! I'm sorry to hear your not going to be able to show Kaswyn after all, but it sounds like you've made the right decision.

I'm also in NE Ohio (Canton area), and am looking to start showing my new horse in the next year or so. I come from a hunter background and am familiar with some of those organizations in the area. However, I'm interested in possibly trying some schooling dressage shows. Do you know of any good organizations or circuits around here?

Katee said...

Oh, I would love to cheer you on! You're probably at the show right now...Go, Go, Go, Albert!

(probably can't here that...MN to OH is kind of a long distance)

Go, Albert!

Header Image from Bangbouh @ Flickr