Wednesday, March 02, 2011

An observation and a plan

Observation: not wrapping Kaswyn's leg for one night increased the inflammation.

Not a lot, really. But the pastern was thicker than it was when it got wrapped every night. I did call the vet but he hasn't gotten back to me, so when he does I'm going to tell him about this and hopefully he'll suggest a plan to lower the bute.

I'm hoping my horse massotherapy lady can get out really soon to see Kaswyn. She's just amazing and she said she can do some lymphatic drainage that will help a lot with the swelling. She'll also teach me how to do it so I can work on it every day. The hope is eventually that I can get him off of both bute and wrapping.

Plans: I'll be showing Lee this month at an open dressage show!

The trainer that he's with will also be showing him, but I'm very very lucky that I am able to ride him and show him. He's really a peach! He'll be doing Training Level tests one and two. He's only four but he's so smart and willing. I'm very excited!

We'll plan on getting video, which I will post. He is for sale, and I hope he'll get some good scores and find a fantastic home. He's really worth considering if you're looking for a dressage horse!

5 comments:

Kate said...

Hope all goes well with his leg, and have fun showing Lee!

Rising Rainbow said...

Sorry to hear that Kaswyn had a reaction to gong without being wrapped. Seems like nothing has been easy with him on this thing. The lymphatic work sounds like a good plan. I will be interested to hear how that works.

In the meantime, I'm glad you have something else to ride. I'm sure that must help some with the stress with Kaswyn. I know I can get pretty tight when I don't get to ride on a regular basis.

Achieve1dream said...

Yay! Congrats about Lee. You'll have so much fun. I can't wait to see the video.

Hmm that's too bad about Kaswyn's leg. I'm glad it's not horrible, but I wish it would just finish up healing. Let us know what the vet and therapist say. I'll keep my fingers crossed for him. :)

Jen said...

I sure hope your man heals up the rest of the way soon. It has definitely been a long road for both of you. Good luck at the show!

Aussiechic said...

Hi there, I am so happy I found your blog, completely by accident, but I am a "dressage mom" too and I love to read about your balancing acts and I can relate!!! Best of luck with your show season! We start on May 8 with our first show and I am really looking forward to it.

 
Header Image from Bangbouh @ Flickr