Sunday, March 20, 2011

March Show - The week before

Before I get to updating on what happened at the show, let me back up and tell what happened the week before the show.

Macey had been coughing for about a week with a cold. We didn't do anything about it (because if you take them to the doctor like that they will tell you "It's a virus." and do nothing for you anyway), but then on Wednesday morning she started running a fever. So I took her to the doctor and they did a throat swab because she said her throat hurt.

The rapid strep test came back negative, but I stayed home from work and kept her home from school anyway because she had a fever. That night before bed she still had a fever so she would have to stay home the next day too, which was Thursday.

Unfortunately, at work we were super short staffed, so Craig and I traded the poor little girl off twice so we could both get our work done at our jobs. As I was in the middle of something at work the docs office called and said the overnight culture came back positive for strep. Which meant she couldn't go to school until she had been on antibiotics for 48 hours.

This meant that I wouldn't be able to go to the show on Friday like I had planned since I would be home with Macey. Turns out it was probably a good thing, because I started not feeling so well myself. I got a throat swab too, but mine was negative. But by Friday afternoon I was getting the chills and feeling generally rotten.

The plan for the show was for the trainer to ride Lee Friday night in Training Level test one, and the other gal to ride Pip First Level test one. I was going to go up and help them with all the show stuff - unpacking, setting up, warming up, tacking, braiding, all that stuff. Instead I stayed at home and felt really badly for leaving them on their own. They did very well though, with Lee getting a 61.66% and fourth place and Pip getting a 60.345% and second place. Keep in mind this is a recognized USDF/USEF dressage show and not just an Arabian show. So they did just fine without me!

But I got a good night of sleep on Friday and I headed to the show on Saturday. I was to ride Lee in Training Level test one Saturday and Training Level test two on Sunday.


Rising Rainbow said...

Ugh, horse shows are hard enough without being sick.

Hope you and Macey are fully recovered by now.

achieve1dream said...

Darn cliffhangers lol. I hope you are both feeling better. I've heard strep can be really painful and miserable. I can't wait to hear how the show went.

Header Image from Bangbouh @ Flickr