Monday, December 04, 2006

Stress - it's not just for finals anymore!

Okay, quick update on the sitch -

Kaswyn - he has an area of increased density on a bone in his knee on the inside of his leg. I'm supposed to give him bute and aspirin until my vet gets back from his conference on Friday, and ride him to the left only. I'm not sure if it's an injury or a permanent condition, but we'll see if the meds improve the lameness.

Water Woes - We have major problems, this time stemming from the fact that all the backyards around us drain their water into our yard. Over the years all of this water has eroded our landscape so that our yard tilts towards the house instead of away from it, causing all the water to flow right next to the basment walls. Consequently the water pressure has cracked 3 out of 4 of our basement walls. Our estimate to fix this problem is thousands and thousands of dollars and involves an extensive drainage system and grading of the yard. I am currently working with the city engineers to solve this problem. My main beefs are -

a) it's not our fault that everyone around us has diverted their water into our yard
b) our drainage system should not have to handle run-off from 4 or 5 yards
c) if we make it so that their water doesn't come into our yard, then you have 5 people with water problems instead of one
d) no matter what, we should not have to pay for something that is obviously an engineering problem and poor planning for water management when the development was built.

The city might eventually call in the county for help fixing this. We'll see what happens with that plan. Either way I'm pushing hard not to have to pay anything, and I want something done before the rains come in the spring, or we'll have a flooded basement again. And we don't want that. Although I didn't write about the flooding saga, aka The Night of Never Ending Water, trust me when I say that it SUCKED BALLS.

That's all I have time for right now. Updates will be forthcoming. I know you're excited.

1 comment:

Lil Kate said...

I am so sorry for you guys! If it's not one thing, it's another! But ususally it's some sort of water in various shades of contamination. I hope this gets worked out and that it doesn't cost you a cent.

 
Header Image from Bangbouh @ Flickr