Thursday, August 24, 2006

Back ...to riding?

I've ridden Kaswyn twice since his recovery was complete. I think he feels really good. He feels out of shape, which is to be expected, but otherwise he's willing and happy to work. In fact, the first time I got on him he was a little TOO eager, and I had to stop him from just running away with me. I think he was so happy not to be walking around that he got overly-excited.

I was happy. I was excited to be riding again. I was looking forward to building him back up again and working on his stamina and flexability. I was anticipating the "real" work and training that we'd be able to do in a few months.

Then my back started to hurt. To be fair, it's been hurting for about a week now, which is not surprising considering the size and heft of my two gigantic children. I don't have to pick up Lily very often, but Macey I pick up all the time for various reasons. Since she weighs 30 pounds (yes, 30 pounds and she's 14 months old) it's quite a strain on my back. I try to lift with my legs and not my back, but sometimes it just doesn't work out that way. Usually when I start getting some pretty consistant pain, I go to my chiropractor. He fixes my back up in one visit and I'm good to go for another month or so (until I throw it out again). This time, however, the pain did not go away after my chirocracker visit. Which got me to thinking that I need to really rest my back to make sure it's just sore muscles and that I didn't really hurt it this time.

That means no riding. This SUCKS IT BIG TIME. My horse hasn't been right since December of last year. We've just been through multiple diagnostics, treatments, a surgery and it's recovery, which has all finally gotten my horse feeling back to normal and I CAN'T RIDE. Well, I guess I can ride, but I really should not.

This seriously bums me out. On top of a hurty back I have to exercise control and not ride. BLAH.

My restrictions will be - no riding, no picking up giant toddlers, and no other (ahem) gymnastic activities. Until Monday, at which time I'll be seeing Dr. Jointcracker again. If my back isn't much much better by then, I think it will be time for some x-rays. I want to know what's going on in there. I just hope it's not navicular.

Ha! Just kidding.

2 comments:

Lil Kate said...

Man! If it's not one thing it's another! I hope that your rest heals you up so that you and Kaswyn can go back to work. Sounds like you're both anxious.

craig said...

They're not the only ones anxious for her back to get better.

 
Header Image from Bangbouh @ Flickr