Monday, July 31, 2006

Stitches time

Kaswyn gave us a little scare last week. He went suddenly and alarmingly very lame on the nerved leg on Wednesday. I called the vet to see if it was normal. Indeed, it was not, and he wanted to see the horse first thing the next morning. I know that there are complications of a neurectomy which can lead to having to put your horse down, so of course I feared the worst. However, Dr. G concluded that Kaswyn was just very sensitive to the cut end of the nerve on the inside of the leg. I was given a different way of wrapping the leg and was instructed to walk him without the bandage so it would not rub on the nerve. That seems to have done the trick, and since then he has not been limping at all.

Today I will take the stitches out of Kaswyn's leg. His incisions look wonderful and I don't forsee any problems. We have another 2 1/2 weeks of walking and icing before he can be ridden. Both of us are already bored silly with this routine. It usually goes something like this...

walk...walk...walk...
Kaswyn raises his head up high and walks closer to me..
walk...walk...
Kaswyn's thought bubble says - "I'm gonna bite ya!"
I say - "Uh uh uh! No! Do NOT bite me!"
he takes a few steps away and walks
walk..walk...
Repeat for 30 minutes.

Wheee.

2 comments:

craig said...

A "little scare"? Are you kidding? Normally, when people have a little scare it doesn't involve them breaking into tears and sobbing, pretty much non-stop, for the rest of the evening. And into the next day.

But I'm glad your boy is okay, honey.

Anonymous said...

Shers,

Hang in there! Kaswyn is awesome! Can you email me your shoer's name. Paul is coming tomorrow and wants to look him up in the yearbook.

XOXOXO Cheryl and Phinale

 
Header Image from Bangbouh @ Flickr