Sunday, July 16, 2006

Limping along

Last week my horse started on meds and new shoeing to help with navicular. He was better for two days and has been getting worse since then. Yesterday he was actively lame on that left front foot. Not just uneven or taking a short stride, but head bobbing lame.

So on Monday I'm calling Dr.G and to let him know that it's not working. I'm not sure what he'll say. I suspect that he's going to want me to continue on this course of treatment for another two weeks, but my feeling is that if it's not getting better, only worse, that it's just not doing the trick.

I'm really thinking that a neurectomy (aka "nerving" him) might be the best thing to do. We can continue to mess around with shoeing and meds, but everyone I've talked to who has had this problem with their horse has ended up nerving their horse in the end. There was a horse in California that my trainer nerved and after his recovery he went on to train and show, winning championships and being happy. I'm just not sure how much longer I want my horse to hurt. Sure, nerving is pretty permanent, but according to Dr. G the area of the foot that is numbed by cutting the nerve is very small. Basically it will just numb the back of the foot, which is the area that hurts.

Maybe Dr. G will go for the neurectomy. Lets hope so. I'm tired of my horse hurting.

1 comment:

Lil Kate said...

I'm really sorry to hear that the treatment isn't working like you'd all hoped. I'll keep my fingers crossed that "nerving" Kaswyn will help and make him feel better. :( Poor kid!

 
Header Image from Bangbouh @ Flickr