Thursday, October 11, 2007

The PSG trot sequence

I had a great lesson today. At the end my trainer was kind enough to video that trot sequence from the PSG test that I talked about in my previous post A rare Monday lesson. When I asked her to video me (not only so I could see how the movement looks when I ride it, but also for this blog), she said "Not problem! I love watching myself ride!" Realizing how that sounded, she quickly added "You know, for training purposes so I can make my riding and seat better! Not just cause I like to see myself on video or anything!"

Uh huh. Sure. ;)

Anyway, here is the sequence to the left.



I think the shoulder-in looks better than it feels, because it really doesn't look bad. After the circle (which is fairly decent as well) he drags his haunches in the half-pass, which I know he's been doing. I just need to get him a little sharper off of my right leg there I think.

And now, to the right.




Again, pretty nice shoulder-in and circle. A nicer half-pass here, although I think he could have been just a little steadier in his contact with my rein/hand. But overall, I'm pretty pleased. Except I wish the video quality was better, and wasn't so dark. I had every light on in the arena, but that didn't seem to help in some spots.

And, I know I haven't put half-pass on my Video Glossary of Dressage Movements. There is a very good reason for that. I'm in the process of getting permission from USEF to use the official definitions and figures from the rulebook in my blog. I'm expecting paperwork from their legal department, and it's taking longer than I expected. Until I get that straightened out I'm planning on not adding to the page. I might get impatient if this takes too long though. We'll see. There's no point in pissing off the USEF.

3 comments:

EquineSpirit said...

LOVE the videos! :D

Rising Rainbow said...

I can see in this last one, he is a bright chestnut! And your comment about the halfpass looking better than it feels, that's how I am with Dandy and the lope. It looks good from the ground but I know it can feel so much better.

I can't believe you have to have written permission from USEF to use their definitions. We are required to show by their darn rules and definitions, you'd think it would be ok for us to help educate people about them without having to jump through such hoops!!ONG don't get me started on USEF.....just let me state simply they are NOT a user friendly organiziation as far as I am concerned as an exhibitor and also show management.

I really enjoyed our conversation. Hopefully we'll get to do it again sometime.

Dressage Mom said...

I'm the one who contacted USEF. I'm doing it to cover my butt because all of the material in the rulebook is copyright protected. They said they are pretty sure they will grant permission for it's use, so now I jsut have to wait for the paperwork. Obviously they aren't concerned since they are taking their time!

And yes, I'm sure at some point we'll talk again. :)

 
Header Image from Bangbouh @ Flickr