Saturday, February 27, 2010

On the mend

So, I didn't warn anybody that my last post would be kind of personal and graphic. I blame that on my drugs. :) Since I neglected to post a warning last time, here's your warning now. I'm going to talk about unsavory stuff, probably more personal than you really want to know about me. Those who want to, feel free to read on.

I didn't end up going back to work until Friday, and then it was only a half of a day. I was still bleeding and cramping like the devil, and I was none too happy about it. Turns out that I had a decent sized polyp in my uterus which was removed prior to the ablation. Its removal has probably been the source of my pain and bleeding.

I was supposed to go help out with one of those medieval event things today (it's the SCA - I partially explain it here), and then we were going to go to a party this evening. But by Friday night I was in pretty bad shape and Craig put his foot down and said "You are staying home. Call people and have then cover for you and the party is off."

Of course, I HATE that. When I say I'll do something, I do it. But he was right - it would not be good for me to be on my feet all day at an event, bleeding and cramping and not healing my delicate insides. So I made calls, cried, apologized, and felt like a heel. Everyone was wonderful, understanding, and sweet. Thanks to you guys, if any of you read this boring horse stuff here. :)

I spent today sitting around on the couch, watching movies and spinning silk. I don't think I've mentioned it here much, but a part of the medieval thing I do is raise silkworms. I do it because I think bugs are cool, and silkworms are very medieval. Pre-medieval, actually, but I'm not going to get into that here. I have a whole different blog dedicated to my silkworms. It's here, if you're interested. It's all about bugs, so if you think bugs are icky feel free to skip it. Anyhow, my plan for tomorrow is to do the same thing - watch movies, spin silk, and sit on the couch.

But what about my lovely pony boys? I really want to ride, but the prospect of getting on a horse right now does not make my uterus jump with joy. So I'm going to wait until the cramping and the red blood is totally gone. Once the blood goes light pink I might consider riding.

So this winter has been very up and down for me. Sickness, bad weather, and this surgery have kept me from riding. However I can't say I'm 100% disappointed in the last few months. I've gotten Kaswyn back into shape, and he's sound for the first time in 5 years. I've made some major breakthroughs in my seat and hands. And I've had a lot of fun figuring these things out.

I try really hard not to think about where I would be right now if I hadn't had all my roadblocks. This year I'm not showing, so I have no deadlines, no pressure. The only pressure I really have is the pressure I put on myself to have improved my riding or the horse by the end of each ride. Sounds like a simple goal, but oh so hard to attain consistently.

1 comment:

lytha said...

the SCA you say?: )

coolness.

i took my horse to an event and learned swordplay via horseback. (with wooden swords and a borrowed outfit).

i wonder if there is an SCA in europe.

~lytha in germany

 
Header Image from Bangbouh @ Flickr