Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Improvements

I'm happy to say that a good watering and dragging has improved the footing in the arena. It's still deep in spots but it's much more even. Last night after working on it Susan and I jumped on our horses bareback and in halters to check it out.

As I've said before, Kaswyn will "go on the bit" in a halter and I'm able to ride him at the trot and canter without a problem. I can even do half-pass and flying changes. It's really very cool and I love being able to ride him and feel his back as he's working. Susan was walking her horse Albert around and after trotting Kaswyn I asked her if she was going to trot Albert. She said "Not unless you want to see him kill me." I told her "Oh, come on. Your horse is so trained he should be able to get on the bit and trot without a problem."

And with a little coaching from me that's just what they did. At first he was resistant and was just pulling on her, but when she continued to ask him to unlock his neck he submitted and became very round and soft. Susan even cantered him and he looked great. Granted we were only on them for about 10 minutes just to see how the footing was, but I enjoyed myself.

And since I got a call from Dr. B saying that the ultrasound data showed no lesions in his suspensories, I'm going to ride Kaswyn today. I'm looking forward to a ride in the better footing. Lets hope he's sound!



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

good luck !

Anonymous said...

Sounds like things are getting better bit by bit. I hope they just keep going up for you and Kaswyn ... good footing and a sound horse!

 
Header Image from Bangbouh @ Flickr