Friday, August 19, 2011

Down, down down

Unfortunately my great situation for Kaswyn didn't work out today. A few other avenues that I explored today also didn't pan out.

I'm trying really hard not to get discouraged here.

On the plus side, the new horse vetted very well yesterday. Flex tests were negative for lameness. The x-rays showed two minor issues but nothing that should cause lameness now or in the long term. I want to make an offer on this horse but I'm hesitant until I can get a plan that works.

Right now I could do a partial self-care on both horses where Kaswyn is. It would take a lot of work on my part, but I guess I'll just need to suck it up if that's what I want to do. I'd have to clean their stalls twice a week, buy and deliver my own hay and grain. I guess it's workable. I have a place that will sell me about 100 bales right now, but that will only last me about 3 months for both horses. Then I will need to get creative.

Maybe I just suck it up, buy the horse and do the partial self-care until I can come up with an easier and more affordable plan. I know I won't be able to do it long term - I'll get too burned out.

And I thought this would be easy? HA!

3 comments:

Now Thats A Trot! said...

Doing self-care is the only way I can afford my two right now... It's not for everyone, but for me (without a family to take care of) it's doable, and worth it.

Good luck. :)

Sand. said...

I suppose an outdoor board situation wouldn't work well for Kaswyn? Here they're a good deal less expensive then box stalls (I could keep 2 of my horse on pasture for the price of 1 box), but you still get a good quality hay, sweetfeed/oats/grain/ration, blanketing, use of all facilities...Or a standing stall if he's not an easy keeper (25% cheaper then box stall)?

Would anyone consider using either of them in their lesson program for a reduced board? That's common here too, and the horses are matched to the riders...often leads to a part-board or lease.

Just brainstorming! I agree that with self-care, you'll quickly find that what you're doing so you can ride, is keeping you from riding. : (

Good luck! Hope you can have them both!

Achieve1dream said...

Eee I'm on pins and needles! Keeping my fingers crossed and thoughts positive for you.

 
Header Image from Bangbouh @ Flickr