Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Lamenting the cold

Yesterday both ponies were supposed to get their feet done - Kaswyn a reset of his shoes and Albert to get his shoes pulled and go barefoot for the winter. However it was really cold - like 10 degrees with the wind chill, so I decided I'd better not go out there and stand in the cold for two hours. Instead I asked Susan to go and hold the horses for the farrier at 10:00 am. She wasn't working, so she said it would be no problem.

I called Susan at 9:00 to double check, and it's a good thing I did. Her truck is in the shop, so she has her little car, which does not have four wheel drive. And that little car was stuck in her driveway, which is hard to get in and out of even with the 4x4. She was shoveling and trying to get out, but she said it was pretty buried and not really on the driveway anymore. It was doubtful that she'd be able to shift it on her own, and was waiting for the plow guy to come and get her out. So I had to call the farrier and reschedule for Thursday. It's supposed to be 37 degrees on Thursday - heat wave! - so I should be able to handle it.

There was no riding Tuesday, and there will be no riding today. It's warmer, but with the wind chill it's 18 degrees. Not something I want to be breathing. I really hate not riding. I can feel myself getting out of shape! And when I get out of shape it's really hard to push myself to ride harder and get back into it. Especially in the winter. I'm lazy at heart, and I like it when things are easy. Getting my riding stamina back is HARD!

4 comments:

Amy said...

The winter *is* hard. I think my horse is finally fixed after two solid years of ailments, and I want to ride soooo much, but I'm totally out of shape and getting up in the freezing cold at oh-dark-thirty to go ride takes a lot of convincing....

Rising Rainbow said...

I pretty much appreciate "easy" myself in the winter......so you're not alone. Riding in cold weather is hard, that's all there is to it. When I take a couple of days off, I can hardly pull myself up into the darn saddle.

Here's wishing you a very Happy New Year!!

When Pigs Fly said...

Don't ask me how but I somehow came across your blog. I am a dressage rider, well, at least I try to be with two warmblood mares. I live in Minnesota and feel your pain. I have the mares at a commercial facility with a heated indoor.
I wrote a pretty funny post on my site about showing called Sisterhood of the Traveling Breeches. I think it's catalogued under "Women" or "Weekend Warriors." You might enjoy it.
Try and stay warm. I think I may have to post about the cold as well.

Horse Riding Equipment said...

Best wishes for 2010 ! for horse lovers

 
Header Image from Bangbouh @ Flickr