Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Winter Blues

There are two reasons I haven't been riding my horse for almost a week. One is because of the swelling in his leg. The second is because I live in Cleveland.

Dr. B was going to come out to the farm on Monday and check out Kaswyn's knee. However, the temperature in Cleveland for the past few days has been in the single digits. He said his equipment won't work properly unless it's at least 20 degrees, so he has plans to come out on Friday when it's supposed to be a balmy 25 degrees.

I decided to call him to give him an update on what's been happening with the leg, sicne my trainer was the one who made the appointment. Yesterday the knee had almost zero swelling, and any swelling that was there was completely gone when I was done walking him. I'm pretty sure that the leg will look totally normal on Friday, and since my horse never went lame, I didn't know what Dr. B would have to work with. He said that based on the history it sounds like a red flag that the area is not healing well and that shock wave therapy would be a good option. So that's what we're going to do, unless he sees something on Friday that changes his mind.

Of course this will probably mean six more weeks of icing and hand walking to give the shock wave the best chance of working. But I guess I'm not missing out on much, since I won't ride if it's 25 degrees or colder.

Why did I move here from California again?

1 comment:

Rising Rainbow said...

I'm sorry that your horse is having problems with his leg again. There is nothing more frustrating for me than trying to figure out what's wrong with them. It would be so much easier if they could just talk.

 
Header Image from Bangbouh @ Flickr