Friday, January 18, 2008

Hello, Dr.B? - Part 1

Kaswyn was not sound last night.

As soon as I started trotting him I could feel it. I gave it about five minutes because I just wasn't sure, and with nobody there to confirm and the mirrors all frosted from the cold I couldn't get confirmation. But then he started to blow through his nose with every stride like he does when he's hurt, and then I knew for certain.

I jumped off of him and called the vet's office right away. It was only 4:15 and there was a slim chance that I could get Dr. B out that evening if he was close by and just finishing up. Time was of the essence because the last time Kaswyn was off, by the time Dr. B got out there a few days later he was sound. So Dr. B needed to come out ASAP. However, the office gal said he was on the other side of town and there was no way of getting him there that night. Then she said his Friday was booked and Saturday didn't look good either. All she could do is take my name and have him call me tomorrow.

I told her that I had his cell phone number and I'd just call him directly. She said that would be a good idea, so I called him. He picked up and I told him who I was and that Kaswyn was off. He said "No! He can't be off! Don't tell me that!" I said yes, indeed, he was off, and was there any way he could get out tonight while he was still off? He said no way, that he was on the other side of the world at the moment, and tomorrow didn't look good. He said he had a morning surgery, then an MRI, then a pre-purchase exam, and two farm calls. He said if he'd be able to make it, it would be after 4:00. I told him I could do that. In the meantime he told me to work Kaswyn so that he stays lame until tomorrow.

I had already untacked my horse, so I put him on the lunge line and lunged him. I haven't lunged him in years at anything other than a walk unless it's for the vet, but watching him lunge would help me see what was going on. I started him to the left, which is the bad side, and he was certainly short on the left front. He wanted to stop, but I made him keep going. My guts twisted up in knots and I started crying as I pushed my horse to move despite his pain. It was terrible. I just kept saying how sorry I was, but that he needed to be lame tomorrow for the doc. I asked for the left lead canter, and after hesitating, he picked up the wrong lead. On the lunge line. He NEVER does that. He was saying, loud and clear, "My left front hurts. Please don't make me work on it."

I stopped him, and reversed directions. He was still off to the right, just not as bad. I only could keep him going for ten minutes before I stopped. I wasn't going to torture my horse. I gave him lots of praise and told him that I knew he hurt the whole time I was putting him away. I cleaned up my stuff and, for the first time, I didn't give my horse bute or put any Surpass cream on him even though I knew he hurt. I didn't want to knock the inflammation out of there and have him be sound tomorrow. I felt so guilty, because I knew that leg hurt him, but he just needed to stay lame. Again I told him I was sorry, and I left the barn with my eyes full of tears again.

As I was pulling down the driveway I got a voicemail from Dr. B. He wanted me to call him. When I did, he said "Hey, sit tight. We're coming your way. Tomorrow just won't work so we're on our way right now. See you in a few."

I went back in the freezing barn to clean my tack and wait for Dr. B.

To be continued...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

:( Part 2 please!

EquineSpirit said...

Oh man...I absolutely NEED part 2! Ya got me in tears now too! :(

Rising Rainbow said...

oh, I know how hard it is to do that. Kaswyn will forgive you.

 
Header Image from Bangbouh @ Flickr