Monday, July 24, 2006

His feet were made for walkin'

After five days of being confined to his stall after surgery, Kaswyn was allowed out of his stall to have his leg re-wrapped and to walk for 15 to 20 minutes today. I was a little afraid of what I might find under the bandage when I removed it, but I was pleasantly surprised. The incisions looked wonderful - no seeping or swelling, and the stitches looked tight and even. In fact I could not even see where the skin was cut apart, so it kind of looked like the stitches were just stuck to healthy skin. Trippy.

When I was done wrapping the leg back up with fresh bandages we took two trips down the driveway and back. On the first time down I think Kaswyn was simply so glad to be out of the barn that he just walked beside me. The second time, however, he decided that only walking was a little boring, so he'd spice it up a bit by trying to bite my arm every four or five strides. Now, understand that he doesn't do this to hurt me. Oh no. He does it to get a reaction, because he thinks it's funny. I know he knows that he's not supposed to bite me, since immediately after he attempts to make contact between my arm and his teeth he jerks his head up out of smacking range. It's pretty predictable that I'll yell "KASWYN!" or "NO!" every time he tries it, so he's getting the attention his little ego craves.

Kaswyn will need to be hand-walked every day for a month. I imagine that one of us is going to get fed up with the whole "Oooh! Careful! I'm trying to bite you!" routine. And it's probably not going to be him.

2 comments:

Lil Kate said...

Your horse is such a wit, such a sharp sense of humor! ;) Too funny! I can just imagine that he thinks he's the funniest thing on 4 legs. He probably brags to the other horses after you leave.

LarkinAround said...

I'm really enjoying your blog! I'm also a stay-at-home-mom, with one toddler and two horses (and a husband and two dogs!)....

 
Header Image from Bangbouh @ Flickr